Profitable decathlon’s Hypo Assembly for a fifth time, repeating as Pan Am champion and capturing world championship bronze in a span of six months is spectacular by itself.
However Damian Warner did all of that competing on two unhealthy ankles in 2019, an achievement Athletics Canada deemed worthy of the Lyle Sanderson Award by asserting the London, Ont., native as Mixed Occasions Athlete of the 12 months on Friday.
Warner, 30, proclaimed to be in the perfect form of his life in April after the sports activities world was halted a month earlier by the coronavirus outbreak, resulting in the postponement of the Tokyo Olympics this summer season and subsequent rescheduling to July 2021.
“I believe I will simply be slightly bit more healthy with yet another yr, I think about,” the 2016 Olympic bronze medallist, who sprained every ankle within the 12 months forward of worlds final October, advised CBC Sports activities in April. “From final yr to this yr, my discus and shot put improved … so if I take one other yr to proceed to hone and proceed to enhance these expertise, I believe they are often even higher subsequent yr.”
WATCH | Damian Warner wins world bronze in decathlon:
Warner led Victor by 122 factors getting into the ultimate self-discipline earlier than crossing the end line in 4 minutes, 37.39 seconds within the 1,500, practically 20 seconds forward of his closest competitor and ending 238 factors away from Victor general.
Lower than three months later, Warner closed with stable performances within the javelin and 1,500 to efficiently defend his Pan Am title in Peru whereas battling a bone spur in his left ankle.
three profession world medals
This time, he completed with 8,513 factors, practically 300 forward of Victor, whereas fellow Canadian Pierce LePage was third with 8,161.
“I am liking the way it’s progressing and I am liking the way it’s feeling going into [worlds at] Doha,” he stated. “I believe that I am prepared for an even bigger rating there.”
WATCH | Warner discusses changes with Olympics postponed:
Warner sat second getting into the ultimate occasion at worlds in Qatar however light down the stretch after taking an early lead within the 1,500, putting ninth and third general.
Germany’s Niklas Kaul turned the youngest decathlon medallist ever on the world championships, successful gold at 21 years previous over Uibo.
“These final six weeks main as much as this decathlon [have] been a bit tough for a lot of causes,” Warner stated, “however I am completely happy that the season’s over and I can regroup and prepare for the large push subsequent yr.”
At 12 p.m. ET, Athletics Canada will title the Cal D. Bricker Memorial Trophy recipient for essentially the most excellent efficiency of the yr.
Athletics Canada will announce its last three awards Saturday:
- 12 p.m. ET — Observe athlete of the yr (Phil A. Edwards Memorial Trophy)
- 1 p.m. – Area athlete of the yr (F.N.A Rowell Trophy)
- 2 p.m. – Athlete of the yr (Jack W. Davies Trophy)
This week’s different winners:
- U18 athlete of the 12 months (Myrtle Cook dinner Trophy): Abdullahi Hassan, middle-distance working
- U 20 athlete of the 12 months (Eric E. Coy Trophy): Trinity Tutti, discus/shot put
- Improvement coach of the yr (Jane and Gerry Swan Awards): Besnik Mece, observe and discipline
- Coach of the yr (Dr. Doug Clement Awards): Gerry Dragomir, observe and discipline
- College athlete of the yr (Dr. Fred Tees Memorial Trophy): Pierce LePage, decathlon
- Off observe athlete of the yr (Fred Begley Memorial Trophy): Evan Dunfee, race strolling
- Para athlete of the yr in wheelchair occasions (Chantal Petitclerc Award): Brent Lakatos
- Para athlete of the yr in ambulatory occasions (Arnold Boldt Award): Nathan Riech, middle-distance occasions